MAKE EACH MINUTE COUNT
For an entrepreneur, time is money and one who efficiently manages time achieves success in the long run. As an entrepreneur, I understand the importance of time management, prioritization and keeping track of our goals while setting up a start-up venture. Time well saved results in cost efficiency and increase in productivity. During the entire journey of establishing my venture, I always gave importance to respecting both personal and professional commitments by way of effective time management.
Throughout my entire career experience, I have learnt that for attaining success one should make each minute count, define clear priorities and set deadlines for completing various tasks. In this article, I will describe the factors which contributed towards my entrepreneurial success. The two word formula “Time Management” made the real difference in my life. Given below are some of the tips which helped in staying afloat:
- Prepare a Calendar and Schedule Everything: I schedule all the activities throughout the day over a time slot and try my level best to stick to the schedule. Preparing a time calendar will help in making the maximum out of each hour spent in a day, minimize time wastage and improves the sense of focus.
- Handle Challenging Assignments during Peak Time: It is generally recommended that the tedious or challenging assignments should be tackled in the morning, as it is the peak hour of productivity generally for most people. Follow-ups or routine nature of work then can be given a second priority and can be handled anytime in a day.
- Organizing Skills: I deal with the assignments in a methodical and an organized manner. Proper filing and having a master folder, serves to be quite handy at times of need. I hardly face any difficulties in locating the files, which avoids the frustration and helps me to put a check on the time wasters. Proper organizing provides me a sense of control over the activities. By demonstrating organizational skills at work, I have been able to reduce distractions and work more productively.
- Delegating Responsibilities: Being an entrepreneur, I have realized the importance of delegating responsibilities to the team members. By delegating certain responsibilities, I pay attention to crucial and more important work which requires my personal attention.
- Optimum Use of Technology: Technology in this context means depending upon the usage of smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc. for running the business. Various apps and user-friendly tools such as Skype, Google Talk, Whatsapp, Calendar Reminders, etc. have facilitated convenience for us. Smart use of technology can prove to be a blessing in disguise and help us in communicating faster and more effectively.
- Commit to complete at least one Productive Task within a Day: As an entrepreneur, commit yourself towards completing at least one productive assignment a day, this applies to weekends even. Productive in this context means devoting yourself to an assignment which will generate opportunities for revenue generation and profits immediately or in the near future. This could be in the form of organizing seminars for the existing and prospective clients, developing creative promotional content or blog writing.
- Minimize Distractions: An entrepreneur is expected to make the best out of the available resources and time is the most precious resource which should be managed intelligently. The key to effective time management is minimizing distractions which are an outcome of the excessive dependence on technology and social media platforms. The solution to all this is to disconnect yourself from such distractions by either switching off your cell phone, not responding to unnecessary phone calls, not logging on to the mails or social media websites and staying away from any such distraction when you have dedicated your attention to something important.
- Avoid Playing the Role of a Yes Man/Woman: For ensuring faster and quality results, one should effectively deal with the “Time Vampires” as they suck your precious time with their unproductive or unscheduled conversations or chats. An entrepreneur should be smart at handling these time vampires by not hesitating in saying “No” to their uncalled requests or time-wasting conversations.
Make each minute count is the best lesson I ever learnt. Share with me, How do you make your each minute count?